Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Duchy of Egjora > Egjora City > Funny Seeing You Here [P][R]
Naota
Deity

Character Info
Name: Naota
Alignment: CG
Race: Deity
Class: Deity of Light and Dreams
Silver: 11170
For longer than anyone liked, there had been a string of murders occurring throughout the lands.  While this wasn’t the type of work he was accustomed to, people far and wide that had cared to know about the deity were well aware of his past as a hunter.  His gut told him to refuse the request as this was hardly in his domain’s jurisdiction, but more than that the entire thing was…off.  From what he could see others had been hired to find the culprit or culprits of these killings, and from there the request shot straight up to the deity himself.  That was more than a stepping stone, more like a giant’s leap.  And that told him one of two things: they were either afraid of one of themselves being next, or this led to some nuisance he was yet unaware of and they wanted it dealt with as swiftly as possible.  Or worse: it was a combination of the two. 

Sadly what had convinced him to take on the job was the yearning he’d felt to be on the hunt again.  Ever since his politically requested resignation from his peers and higher ups in his past organization, he hadn’t been able to get out that urge.  It had been time since each job ended in a kill, but the hunt was what drew him in more than he ever would have realized now that he was retired.  Forcefully retired.  And so, he’d removed himself from his much more light attuned garments and took out his old clothing. 

Bloodstains still speckled the garments in certain places, and while he could have used magick to remove them, he liked the reminder of who he had once been.  It was like meeting an old friend when he put them back on, Torinasu fastened at his hip once more.  He could feel that it too was ready to be on the hunt again.  Though he doubted he’d be fighting an undead, Torinasu was always battle ready for melee, even if it thirsted for negativity and not blood.

Even though he was in his old clothes, looking at himself for the first time in them after so long was odd: he himself seemed so much cleaner, different, brighter than the dark clothing would have suggested.  And now he had the white markings lining his skin, even more obvious than usual against his tanned skin now that they were held in contrast to his clothing as well.  Ah well, at least this job would be a silent one since Minasé was no longer a part of him.  That was strange too…

It had taken a good amount of legwork across the continent of Canelux, but he’d managed to make it to every kill site and even had the chance to inspect every victim.  At first he thought they had to be done by different people, but one thread bound them all.  Magick had been used in some killings, even decapitation, but it was almost too perfect in leading to more than one person being the culprit.  And some of the kill points were too clean and precise, in fact there was a kind of chaotic order to the deaths in general.  Either the one doing this was anal, or insane.  Possibly both.  But he couldn’t rule out that it was more than one person, if anything it might be some group of people working together: one group, one mind, a clan perhaps?  Maybe this was some new form of initiation.

The victims hardly had anything to do with one another from what he could find, and only couplings of them were familiar at best, the most being four at a time.  But that in itself was a big enough clue: these weren’t randomized, but this would make finding the new victim all the harder.  The only thing he was absolutely certain of was that the next one would likely be on Canelux. 

He had been able to concentrate it down to five possible future victims, but one kept sticking out to him as if outlined in red.  A baron hosting a masquerade in the City of Egjora.  And it wasn’t entirely the man that attracted his attention, but the very fact that he was holding a ball during a time like this, and that a large mass of guards had been assembled, more than one would need for a masquerade.  If this was a case of organized killings, then only a guilty man would want himself that protected.

Also, it was the best hunch he had so far, and this time he would follow his gut.  His hunter’s clothing had been replaced with crisp and clean garments: black and formal, with only an accent of gold cufflinks.  He himself looked different, and had it not been for his long sleeves and jacket he would have needed to use a great deal of magick to hide his white markings: they would have been a dead giveaway to who he was. 

His usually dark brown hair had been changed to a deep wine, red caused too many bad memories and he couldn’t bear that color.  His emerald eyes were stark black behind his mask, so very unlike their usual emerald hue, and his skin was much paler in color.  Torinasu wasn’t on him, but he was always ready to summon it should the need arise.  A raw piece of black tourmaline hung on a silver chain around his neck, tucked under his shirt to rest against his chest along with the empty vial and it was about the only thing on him that gave indication to who he was at all.

Luckily he wouldn’t have to be in the actual ballroom for too long, and right now was only there to keep an eye on the baron.  He’d need to leave soon to do a perimeter check, but for now he was against the wall, happy that he had been able to avoid conversing with anyone thus far.  If he was wrong, and this wasn’t the next victim then it was likely he’d have fresh blood on his hands from the true prey…Yet despite that possibility he knew he wasn’t moving from this location tonight unless it was to follow the baron somewhere else.

God Rules:
i. Has the ability to put any target into a deep sleep.
ii. Unmatched in holy magicks as well as light magicks.
iii. Can shatter illusions by bending the light to show the truth.
[ OOC: My main account but one of many! :D - Anton ]
CodeAni
Developer

Character Info
Name: Natsumi
Race: Outsider (Planar Revenant)
Class: Void Sniper
Silver: 5952

T'was a long time ago – longer now, than it seems – in a place that, perhaps, you've seen in your dreams. For the story you're about to be told, took place in a tiny world of old. Now, you've probably wondered why I vanished from that place so suddenly. If you haven't, I'd say it's time you begun.

"Koa does not simply erase memories, my scorned siblings. It produces its own form of insanity. The minds of the afflicted will attempt to create memories where none exist." –Unknown

In the aftermath of Arania's defeat and the sudden disappearance of Skadi from the pantheon, Revaliir was thrown into a state of disarray. Especially on the western continent, there were fears that chaos was overtaking the conclave ranks. This, as you can imagine, was not too surprising. After all, there had been more than a few falls in recent years and even a deity that most everyone had somehow managed to forget.

The Nameless One was a title on many people's lips following the destruction of that infernal, spider golem. Some of the more devout citizens quietly thought that the land had been cursed by this figure of myth, even if they had no proof. In fact, no one could even remember the deity's face, and the going rumor was that The Nameless One, having been a deity of keys and secrets, had used their powers to erase their very existence. No one could really fathom why they did that, though. Naught but a select few could even remember that the deity was actually a she, nor could they recall her titles, her name, what she looked like or even where her temple had been. Everything about her had been erased from the history books too, so all the "facts" that came from those who could still remember had no evidence to support them.

The rumors about this figure went on for several weeks after Arania was vanquished, but then, like most things surrounding The Nameless One, they simply vanished without a trace. No one even remembered talking about the lost deity, as if a foul mist had flown over their heads and stole their memories once more. Such was the price of a deal: a deal that no one but the tree was meant to know of.

That was 2 months before the murders in Canelux started happening. By then, I, the mythical being who had stirred so much controversy, had returned to the flock of sheep that were Revaliir's mortals – in a sense, at least. This time, I had come as something different in both job and nature: a revenant tourist instead of a human spy. Before I get into that, however, it's best I finally explain why I left in the first place.

I had fled Revaliir the first time because my job of spy there had been concluded. I had fulfilled my quota of knowledge, and so there was no reason for me to remain except to wrap up some personal issues. I wanted to save my husband and daughter from their imprisonment before the defense mechanisms around them became active, but I was, sadly, disallowed. My mother recalled me immediately, and sent Skadi on the mission in my place.

The Prince of Madness did succeed, but it took her so long that we eventually had to send Ellie after her to remind her why she was in Revaliir to begin with. Still, as matters stood after the incident, there was little reason to complain or return. There were no more missions for me in any world, as seemed to be the case after big hauls like Revaliir, so I was free to do as I pleased.

Tourism was what I chose, though with a twist. I knew of many spells that allowed me to visit a world and experience it without physically putting myself in any real danger, and I had learned of such a spell while reigning as a deity in Revaliir. I used this forgotten art to infiltrate that world once more, but this time for my own amusement. I did not, you see, come with the intention of murdering anyone.

Unfortunately, that intention meant little when confronted with reality. After the first week of my vacation, it came to my attention that there were some unintended side-effects of Koa's activation. People did forget, as intended, but they were also creating their own memories to fill the void. Some cults were forming in the background on the basis of these imaginings, their members worshipping deities that didn't and had never existed in Revaliir.

Normally, this wouldn't be our concern. We were outsiders to a fault, so we chose a policy of non-intervention in most things. But some of these cults started growing closer to the truth than we appreciated. There were failed incursions into the multiverse, and some of the survivors lived long enough to tell of their beliefs. Somehow, these memories they were creating had a kernel of truth in them, enough for orders to be handed down.

That was when the murders started. I began tracking down the cultist members with calculated violence, covering my tracks using my eons' worth of experience in stealth. Not all the deaths were due to my intervention, but the murders I did commit were done in various ways. Poison, decapitation, blood loss, cardiac arrest: anything went so long as there was no common thread between the fools.

Alas, whilst I was thinning the herd, the Cult of the Mirror – the rather unoriginal group that I hunted – were doing their own killings. It was part of an initiation, I assume, because the murders they committed were much sloppier than anything I would have done. Their cut marks were unsteady, obviously done by a novice; and their ruses were easy enough to see through. They even left behind evidence of their organization with each kill, so it didn't take very long for a certain deity of light to find his way to a big fish within the group. Thus the great Eljior VII, Baron of the Egjoran Kingdom, found himself unknowingly entertaining a member of the conclave on the night of his grand masquerade.

The great event that drew old friends together was held in the evening. Naota and I both arrived separately and early on in the proceedings; so early, in fact, that the dancing hadn't even begun. We were also disguised, but that was where the similarities ended. You see, Naota was using magic to hide himself, whereas I opted for an almost completely, non-magical disguise.

Before the party had even begun, I acquired a large stock of makeup. Using the assorted dyes, powders and other cosmetics, I completely transformed my appearance into that of a human, party-goer. My skin was darkened to an olive tan, and my hair dyed purest black. Even the true color of my eyes was hidden, thanks to the green lenses implanted in the purple, fox mask I wore: for which I dyed the fur on my ears purple.

I walked into that ballroom with perfume hiding my scent and an ornate dress adorning my form. My tail was hidden beneath the satin fabric of purple and blue hues, and I played off my ears as being part of my mask. I even had some fake, human ears from some costumes I had found, so there wouldn't be any questions about that oddity of mine. In fact, the only thing magically hidden about me was the pair of wings on my back, but those were easily justified on the basis of tailoring costs should anyone ask about why I hid them. In the end, no one would be capable of recognizing me with or without magic as I stepped across the floor with confidence.

Oddly enough, the guards had let me in without a fuss, the same as they had let Naota in despite the fact that he was hiding his identity. Clearly, the baron valued ceremony and appearance over his safety tonight, since he seemed unwilling to relegate his guests to a body search. My first instinct upon upon realizing this was to take advantage of it. There was a chandelier over the baron's head, after all. All it would take to end him was a quick, ranged strike on the supporting chains. And yet I did not do that. Instead, I calmed my bloodlust upon noticing a familiar vampire hunter leaning against the far wall.

Naota may have concealed most of his features, but I had kept an eye on him since my departure from Revaliir. I knew of his white markings, the empty vial he almost always wore around his neck, and his liking of black tourmaline. All of those details, combined with the fact that I could still see through clothing, made the young deity easy to pick out from the crowd: especially since he stuck out like a sore thumb for trying to be a wallflower at a masquerade.

"It's rather rude to enter a party and then not mingle with the guests," I said with a voice completely alien to my own whilst approaching the wine haired youth. He would not recognize me from physical appearance: that much was certain. However, it never hurt to be extra cautious, so I also hid from a voice he might recall during our interactions. "Also suspicious that someone so clearly desirable by the fairer sex would go into a party that demands dancing only to relegate himself to being a wallflower." The 'fairer sex' comment was in regard to the lewd remarks I had overheard from some of the women on the way over to Naota. I did not share their fascination with his "manhood," but I did feel like the godling could use some teasing. He was too stiff for his own good; not that that mattered much to me when offered my delicately gloved hand to him. "If you're brave enough to enter the ballroom, surely you're courageous enough to offer a lady a dance?"

Last profile edit: 4/24/18
Dialogue: "speech" ~telepathy~ 'mental/silent/unintelligible'
Naota
Deity

Character Info
As the next hour ticked on he felt himself growing more anxious.  There had barely been anything out of the ordinary so far and he started to worry that his instincts had led him wrong.  That would be bad, and for a brief second he considered using Minasé as his eyes…wherever the daemon was.  Even if he controlled him from here, he wouldn’t be able to in the ballroom: it was a technique he was still getting used to after all.  It was convenient to be able to use his former inhabitant and virtually be in two places at once, but he was using that as a last resort.

Aside from his business here, he was getting uneasy from being so solitary.  On missions he was always moving about, but now that the leg work was done he had to just…wait.  It was easier said than done, especially when you didn’t want to come off as suspicious.  His eyes sought out the baron once more, but he’d still yet to leave the room and if he wasn’t so sure that the man was being foolish, he would have thought it clever to surround himself by so many civilians.  Still, the slip of poison into a carefully placed drink flute could end everything.  Luckily that wasn’t this killer’s style.

His attention was briefly averted by someone coming closer to him and he looked at the approaching woman almost in confusion.  No one had approached him since he’d arrived here other than the customary nod or offer of food and drink from staff.  Her mask hid most of her features and his eyebrows rose from her choice: fox.  The ears reminded him of Natsumi, but he was used to that whenever he came across a kitsune at this point.  Just like any other time, he ignored the painful jab in his stomach as that crack of green in the sky illuminated his memories all too vividly.

Despite those thoughts, he politely smiled and nodded to her, thinking she would move in another direction but…she stopped in front of him instead.  His smile faded.  As she spoke to him it became increasingly obvious that this wasn’t going to be a quick hello and goodbye.  He didn’t want to seem rude but he wanted to keep his attention where it was needed, but being a slave to showing politeness got the better of him and he kept his eyes with hers, as much as he could with the mask at least.

When she mentioned other women here his lips parted and he looked away from her to this ‘fairer sex’ in time to see a few eyes quickly avert.  People were staring at me?!  Oblivious didn’t even begin to explain how he could be with matters like this, and right now he was more focused on whether or not he had been obvious while standing here.  He looked back at her and then down at her gloved hand.  The way she spoke seemed neither flirtatious or vindictive, as if she was speaking merely out of fact…with an air of playfulness that so reminded him of his sister when she was trying to get to him.

As much as he wanted to remain rooted to his spot, he hoped that maybe in dancing with her it could bring him closer to his target.  No, not target: his charge.  More or less.  His lips pulled in, hesitating for only a second or two before moving his hand to take hers, “If I didn’t know any better I’d think you were challenging me to a duel.”  He smiled, small but real, and led her further onto the dance floor before moving her hand to his shoulder; replacing his at her hip.  This was something he was well trained on since childhood, his mother demanded all of them know how to ballroom dance…though he could never figure out why.  Well, it was coming in handy now, maybe that had been her plan all along.  Then again she always had her little ways.

His other hand gently held her fingers as he began to lead them in time with the music and the other spinning bodies, “That’s an interesting choice of costume…Is there any particular reason you chose a fox?”  The ears were done so well he would have sworn they were real if not for the scent of dye and being able to see her more humanoid ones.

God Rules:
CodeAni
Developer

Character Info

Naota's hesitation was to be expected of someone who knew they were out of place, and so my suspicions about him were confirmed within those few seconds of tepid resistance. He was there for reasons other than levity. That was why he was so surprised when I called attention to the fact he was being watched. He had a significant desire to remain unnoticed, but one he had failed to fulfill.

The biggest question now came to the front of mind: was the godling here to save the baron or for some other reason? Given the lack of Minase within his mind at that moment, I doubted he had any dark intentions. Still, I couldn't very well proceed without analyzing his potential threat. As such, a dance remained my best chance to measure the vampire hunter's plans for the evening, even if my bold invitation to advance that agenda raised some suspicion.

"Dancing is a form of combat," I said when accused by the cherry haired buck of something more than just a round on the floor, "but I'm not about to strike or bite you. I just want a dance and perhaps a word." A waltz was beginning by the time the two of us made it onto the main floor, and I allowed my old acquaintance to lead just as the baron was indulging himself on exotic cheeses. Conversation began immediately afterward, starting with a comment on my fashion choice.

"Look around you," went my response as we twirled about on the wooden floor. "There are plenty of foxes here already, or at least pretenders. My fellow nobles idolize the attribute most associated with that animal. They try to outsmart each other, vying for favor from their betters using whatever cunning they can muster. But they do this in secret because it is considered impolite. I am simply being honest where others are not. A true fox does not hide what she is; she embraces it." Pausing briefly at this point, I took the initiative to redirect the conversation back on my elusive partner. He had thus far avoided talking about himself, and I wasn't about to let him continue doing so: at least not easily. "But enough about me, I'm more curious about you. For example, why is the pantheon's newest addition so interested in not being noticed at this ballroom event? You could have the royal treatment; be a special guest: especially since this party is in Canelux. Yet you choose to remain anonymous. I wonder: what role are hoping to play tonight in this tragic masquerade."  

Naota
Deity

Character Info
He admired her explanation for why she had gone with a fox.  Something about the way she spoke reminded him of someone, but for the life of him he couldn’t place who.  Or maybe it had just been a while since he’d spoken to so blunt of a woman that he wasn’t either married to or related to.  No, it was more than that.  Even though they were surrounded by other moving people they blurred to his eyes and ears when she pointed out easily who he was.  His smile faded down ever so slightly and despite himself his grip tightened on her hand and hip; extremely briefly though.

Now, this wasn’t exactly the best disguise he had ever used, not by a long shot, but her ease in conversation and quick recognition of him along with her familiarity told him that he did in fact know her.  He wasn’t sure how, or when, since he’d met so many people in his life…and while he didn’t like to resort to baser instincts, her scent wasn’t familiar to him.  Yet it was.  Something was wrong, he was getting distracted.  Hopefully she was friend and not foe, though he’d made plenty on both sides through the years,

“If you know who I am then you must also know that I’m a very private person…I don’t like bringing attention to myself.”  He sighed, the smile returning, “I’m also polite to a fault and though I declined my invitation to help avoid such attention, I thought I should at least attend briefly.” 

His eyes moved to the chandeliers dripping in delicate glass and crystals, to the extreme signs of wealth in the tapestries and lanterns, “You don’t have a temple garden literally growing crystals and fortune and not expect a baron to want to make your acquaintance.”  Oddly enough that was only half true, not necessarily for this fellow, but more than a few people in power had taken interest in the treasures of Kesshō no Niwa.  All of it in vain though as wealth and power had nothing to do with anything in his domain.

“Though I must admit, that’s quite an eye you have to pull me out of a crowd so easily…Are you a follower?”  They both already knew the answer to that, but his eyes stayed with hers, ever black behind his mask as he tried to read her.  The dance had turned to one of words and he couldn’t help but feel like he was being played with…or if it was meant in threat or something otherwise.

God Rules:
CodeAni
Developer

Character Info
As we continued our dance, Naota and I descended into a spot of tension. He was clearly bothered by the fact that I had so easily pinpointed him, not seeming to realize that his positioning had been the most obvious clue. Perhaps it was foolish of me to approach him under that circumstance, but, even in my old age, I had a tendency to push the bill. His tightened grip, while temporary, managed to make me uncomfortable, especially since the touch of a man, in general, did not sit well with me. Only Meyne's rough hands could put that anxiety at ease with a tender touch, and Naota was definitely not my husband. I found myself wanting to leave the dance because of that, even after the old vampire hunter released his tense clutch on my hip and arm.

There was actually more to that desire to egress than personal, social anxieties; now that I think about it. I was initially intending to softly interrogate my old acquaintance to find out if he knew anything about the baron, but his answers showed that he either was playing coy or was completely ignorant of the current situation. All my question had really succeeded in doing was to put him on edge, which was both good and bad. On the one hand, the vampire hunter would now be prepared to strike in case another murder occurred, which made things more difficult for the cultists. On the other hand, however, that first condition also applied to me if I made the first move to exterminate those pesky, ritual seekers. I would have to be more careful now that I had stirred the flashlight bear, but, first and foremost, I had to finish the dance. It isn't proper etiquette to leave in the middle of a waltz, after all.

Naota asked a couple questions before that endpoint, and I answered the first with a hint of disgust and cynicism in my voice while still allowing him to lead.

"Provided that his interest is merely wealth. Some nobles have some really dark tastes, especially those who are predisposed to power games. Vonoyman is not known for that, but it's hard to ever say you know 100% the intentions of a nobleman until they either save your life in a fit of spontaneity or stab you in the back." Perhaps my distaste for my old background showed a little too strongly in that statement, but that was as close to the real me that my partner had gotten thus far. Although I had grown up going to court and fraternizing with other nobles, I hated that life: hated what it stood for; hated waking up in the morning to pursue it. Even eons after my last regular court visit had finished, I still held a certain amount of animosity toward "my kind"; yet this feeling wasn't out of envy like you might expect from a peasant. I understood how petty and vulgar nobles could be while putting on a mask of innocence: how fake they could be. The knowledge of what was considered common and even acceptable amongst their kind was what disgusted me to no end with them.

Of course, this was why I was able to spot Naota so easily. He was anything but a common noble. He had that air about him that made him stand out, and it was only amplified by the fact that he liked to stay on the sidelines. The truly adept of our social class could spot his different demeanor in a heartbeat, even if they would need more to pinpoint his exact identity. Of course, he didn't see it that way, and, as a result, he just jokingly insinuated that I was a follower with a good eye.

"We all have our secrets, Mr. Uharu," I said while entertaining his suggestion, "but I suppose I can be fair tonight since I seem to know more about you than you do about me." I was about to tell him he didn't seem like a typical noble at this point, but my mind skipped to the more noteworthy observation of his tattoos at the last second. My spymaster mentality was something he didn't need to catch a glimpse of, so I brushed over it in my explanation."Your tattoos are well known and you stick out like a sore thumb at events like these when you avoid people so obviously. Those who dwell in solitude on the sidelines of parties are always suspicious to me, and they merit being investigated. It just so happens I noticed those markings of yours when I investigated you. As for how I saw them from across the room and through your clothes, I'm afraid that information is not free of charge: even if you've already somewhat paid me with a perfect subject for another of my paintings. Suffice to say you might want try not being a wallflower next time: that is if your intent is to remain unnoticed." The music ended at this point, as did the waltz. Everyone around Naota and I stopped to clap for the musical troupe, and I followed suit before preparing to leave without having realized my Freudian slip of perversion and voyeurism.

Before I turned heel, though, I thought of trying to use Naota against the cult. He was already slightly paranoid from my sudden introduction, so stoking that feeling even further would likely put a thorn in the baron's side. The plan was risky, but I went it. "The dance is over now, good sir. One last piece of advice before I go and get myself a drink: be on your toes. My time at court has taught me how to recognize bloodlust from just the feeling of a room, and there's lots of it here tonight. Considering that the watch says there's a murderer on the loose in Egjora right now, you also have to wonder why the baron is being so free with his proceedings if not to lure in the hunter. He's even gone so far as to try to decrease the security detail inside this estate, forbidding entry to watch members and only allowing his personal guards inside the grounds. Call it a hunch, but I believe tonight will be more eventful than usual, especially if Baron Vonoyman is plotting something."

I walked off after that, making my way over to the feast table to grab a glass of champagne. Moments later, a scream would echo from further in the house, only to be drowned out by the harmony of noises within the ballroom chamber. Only the keenest of ears could catch the muffled cries of death, but no human in that crowd possessed such ability. Naota and I surely did, but I was not yet ready to pursue the blood moon. Naota's next move would determine my course.